Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) are a common and costly problem for people and companies across the United States: MSDs are the single largest category of workplace injuries and are responsible for
Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) are a common and costly problem for people and companies across the United States:
- MSDs are the single largest category of workplace injuries and are responsible for almost 30% of all worker’s compensation costs.
- U.S. companies spent 50 billion dollars on direct costs of MSDs in (2011).
- Indirect costs can be up to five times the direct costs of MSDs.
- The average MSD comes with a direct cost of almost $15,000.
- For WCTI members MSD costs were approximately $1,731,485 (for 2018 – both industrial and office).
The economic and human costs of MSDs are unnecessary. These disorders can be preventable. It’s important to understand what MSDs are and what causes them. MSD’s are injuries and disorders that affect the human body’s movement or musculoskeletal system (i.e. muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, discs, blood vessels, etc.). Other common names for MSDs are “repetitive motion injury”, “repetitive stress injury”, “overuse injury” and many others.
At the end of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Identify MSD risk factors
- Identify contributing factors to the risks
- Initiate engineering, administrative, and work practice controls to address these risks
About the speaker:
Meredith A. Wayant has over 30 years’ experience in ergonomics, safety, and medical management. She began as an occupational therapist treating injured workers. This led to a ergonomics position with NATLSCO. She then
was the Health & Safety Manager with Sky Chefs at O’Hare International airport. She has worked for CCMSI for over 14 years with clients in hospitals, nursing homes, manufacturing, municipalities, schools and park districts.
Lunch will be served at 11:45 AM and the Train-the-Trainer session will begin at 12:30 PM.
MSAP Bonus Points (.5) given for attending Task Force and (.5) for Train-the-Trainer. Register for each session separately.
(Thursday) 11:45 am - 2:00 pm Central
CCMSI Lisle Office
3333 Warrenville Road
RSVP to event
You must login to RSVP for this event Login Now