July Safety Tip
In many manufacturing facilities, employees move from one department to another depending on the workloads. When you are working in a different area than normal, make sure you know what to do in an emergency.
Ask yourself these questions and get answers if you don’t know them.
- Where is the nearest fire extinguisher located? (Use it only if you are trained!)
- Where are the two nearest exit doors located?
- Who are the first aid responders nearest to your area?
- Where do you go in a tornado emergency – find where that is located.
- Where is the nearest eyewash station?
- Have you recently reviewed the JSA for that area/job? Do you know what the common hazards are? Are you sure?
- Where are the Safety Data Sheets?
- Do you know what PPE is required – do you have it?
- Are you comfortable with what you have to wear, is the PPE comfortable?
- Do you feel comfortable with the job you will be doing; if not, ask for extra training.